Saturday, October 13, 2007

Patchable Oberheim 3 Voice



This is a customized, patchable Oberheim 3 Voice. The 4th SEM was removed to make way for a custom-made panel.
Yours truly put most of the jacks on the custom panel, over a decade ago, and not too long after I did the Polyfusion VCF module. This has changed hands a few times, and I don't know where it is now. I hope it's still making happy noises!

Patchable SEM's are a wonderful thing. However, it's a HUGE project, and you have to know what you're doing in order to make sure you don't make a mess of everything. Fixing and modding synths isn't something that should be done on a lark. If you don't fix synths for a living, it's far better to spend time playing a synth to see what you can get out of it than it is to try to modify it yourself. I know, that's not what people like to hear, but if I can save one synth from being destroyed by well-indended but ill-equipped hands, I'll consider my job done. ;-)

Apologies for not posting on the 12th. I had a migraine, and it screwed up my day.

No comments: