Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Tribute

This picture was taken about 20 years ago. That's me on the left, obviously. :)
The old man next to me is my paternal Grandfather, Luís Adame. Behind him is eldest living son, my Daddy.



Why post this here? Read on:
Grandpa got into electronics in 1930, at the age of 15, when he saved up 75 cents to buy a crystal to make a radio.
Then he had to save up another 75 cents to buy an antenna for it. :)
That started an interest and later a living from fixing electronics (TV's, radios, etc.). He was into CB Radio when I was little, too. I remember seeing his test equipment and CB stuff as a kid and being fascinated by it.

So when I met Synthfool on AOL 13+ years ago and first saw his shop, that fascination was sparked again. And some DNA kicked in after a few years, and here I am today, happily upgrading components on vintage synth circuit boards and rebushing keyboards.

Grandpa was pleased by the fact that one of his Grandchildren shared his interest in electronics, and he told my Dad once that he was impressed that I know what I diode is. :) I have his soldering iron, which I will treasure forever.

Grandpa turned 94 three days before he died, so he had a long, good life full of love and laughter. We should all be so lucky.

1 comment:

synthtopia said...

Sounds like your grandfather was pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing!